Big Bayr's Cave

Find here the musings of a man finally settling comfortably into middle age. Topics of interest will include my work in theatre / visual arts, changing masculinities in society, education, civility, spirituality, and a return to playfulness. OH, yes, also my personal story of childhood abuse. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS WELCOMED.

Name:
Location: Batesville, Arkansas, United States

Trained as a painter and set designer, I've worked in liberal arts environments for all of my adult life. I'm content with my 27 year marriage to a sweet woman (who's a genius as a cook.) I am the proud father of a 21 year old son who's double majoring in Russian and English at the University of the South. My mother arrived in the US in 1948 to marry my father who'd been a GI in the occupation following World War II. I closely relate to issues concerning diversity, which I define more broadly than a matter of race; any definition of diversity must include the full spectrum of what makes each of us individuals.

Monday, January 02, 2006

God thoughts

Ecce Homo is a theme to which I have returned. The notion of the sacrifice of one for the sins of many moves me deeply. I have come to identify with Christ although I am hesitant to call myself a Christian. That title carries so much baggage for me. To take it on would seem to me to carry the notion that I must condemn others, that I must acknowledge that those who die outside the knowledge of HIM are condemned through their ignorance to eternal damnation. The same would apply to those who reject Christ. I cannot nor will not accept that for I do believe in a Higher Power who operates in ways that I cannot understand. Condemnation is something I understand well so I do not attribute that characteristic to the god of my belief and understanding. I believe that God cares so very much for all of his/her creation that even the monsters of humanity will be saved. I am sure that there are those who would love to present me with chapter and verse. My response can only be "I know what I know in my heart." Why--I have to ask--would those who believe in God's unconditional love believe that there will be those who will suffer in a "lake of fire"? Is there really any comfort in that image? If I have to go there as a Christian, then I must go elsewhere.
Look on the image of Christ who suffered and gave up all for us. Did He do this for us so things would continue to be the same? So that condemnation, vengence, rejection, segregation, and all the painful actions of which men are capable are affirmed as the characteristics of the Creator? Then WHY BOTHER ?
 Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Free Counter