Big Bayr's Cave

Find here the musings of a man finally settling comfortably into middle age. Topics of interest will include my work in theatre / visual arts, changing masculinities in society, education, civility, spirituality, and a return to playfulness. OH, yes, also my personal story of childhood abuse. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS WELCOMED.

Name:
Location: Batesville, Arkansas, United States

Trained as a painter and set designer, I've worked in liberal arts environments for all of my adult life. I'm content with my 27 year marriage to a sweet woman (who's a genius as a cook.) I am the proud father of a 21 year old son who's double majoring in Russian and English at the University of the South. My mother arrived in the US in 1948 to marry my father who'd been a GI in the occupation following World War II. I closely relate to issues concerning diversity, which I define more broadly than a matter of race; any definition of diversity must include the full spectrum of what makes each of us individuals.

Monday, January 02, 2006

Creation

Adam and Eve: I've carried around this large painting since I was an assistant professor at Vanderbilt. I believe I've exhibited it three times and each time I couldn't resist tweaking it with a paint brush. I know that Genesis reports that God looked on His creation and said "That's good" and then rested. His creatures aren't like that, are they? We keep having to go back and tinker. Perfection will always escape us but that knowledge doesn't stop us from going back, does it? I'm one of those that doesn't seem to "leave well enough alone" believing that "the good is often the enemy of the best." I so enjoy laying paint to canvas. I need to make more time to do what I love. Don't we all?

I give thanks for the holidays. My son is at home and we use the time together to dive into the shop and build things. There is great truth to Robert Bly's observation that sons and fathers benefit by working along side one another. There's learning and communion. I find it restorative and our time together has become a necessary component in my creative life. It won't be long now until he fully fledges the nest so I have to take advantage of every moment available to me.
Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Free Counter