Big Bayr's Cave

Find here the musings of a man finally settling comfortably into middle age. Topics of interest will include my work in theatre / visual arts, changing masculinities in society, education, civility, spirituality, and a return to playfulness. OH, yes, also my personal story of childhood abuse. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS WELCOMED.

Name:
Location: Batesville, Arkansas, United States

Trained as a painter and set designer, I've worked in liberal arts environments for all of my adult life. I'm content with my 27 year marriage to a sweet woman (who's a genius as a cook.) I am the proud father of a 21 year old son who's double majoring in Russian and English at the University of the South. My mother arrived in the US in 1948 to marry my father who'd been a GI in the occupation following World War II. I closely relate to issues concerning diversity, which I define more broadly than a matter of race; any definition of diversity must include the full spectrum of what makes each of us individuals.

Tuesday, January 03, 2006

A Man and his Mask-- Another large painting I have kept with me is the Oedipus Triptych. The piece began as a design study in preparation for a production of the classical Greek tragedy. The director could not find a single translation that completely engaged him; the final production script was a compilation drawn from at least five sources. As disconcerting as this might seem, I chose to take an eclectic approach to the visual and auditory environment. The director wanted to bring home the timelessness of the themes. Following the production, I was so enamored of the collage that had started my creative "juices" flowing I decided to cut the panel apart and use the resulting pieces as a "sketch" for an art work. I had some triangular panels that I'd been wanting to use for a work but the right inspiration had not come along. The idea that Oedipus was caught between heavenb and hell--Apollo and Jocasta--seemed to lend itself to the use of these triangular pieces. The photo at left shows the detail of the central panel, Oedipus as a public figure bearing the mask of his office and assumed identity. I like to talk to my students in the introductory theatre class about "why" and "how" each of us wear masks and assume roles in our day to day lives. Posted by Picasa

I arrived at posting this painting after the request of a former student who visited this blog. I always find it strange when people remember my work and I wonder, "Why? Why that particular piece or particular production?" If I could answer the questions then I'd be a mind-reader, wouldn't I? I used to spin my wheels attempting to anticipate the reactions of others and wasting my hours second-guessing their wishes and motivations. Call it the "people-pleaser" in me. As I've gotten older, the inclination to please others at my expense has faded as an impulse. I should be thankful for that, shouldn't I? Oh, I understand the "why" of people-pleasing only too well. Patterns are learned early in childhood. I'll explore the learning of my patterns in the coming weeks. It's an adventure I've taken before. Perhaps the time has come again, but now to explore a bit more deeply. The oddity of the blog phenomenon is the entries will read in reverse: the beginning will be archived at the end. The mask comes off in steps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Free Counter