Big Bayr's Cave

Find here the musings of a man finally settling comfortably into middle age. Topics of interest will include my work in theatre / visual arts, changing masculinities in society, education, civility, spirituality, and a return to playfulness. OH, yes, also my personal story of childhood abuse. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS WELCOMED.

Name:
Location: Batesville, Arkansas, United States

Trained as a painter and set designer, I've worked in liberal arts environments for all of my adult life. I'm content with my 27 year marriage to a sweet woman (who's a genius as a cook.) I am the proud father of a 21 year old son who's double majoring in Russian and English at the University of the South. My mother arrived in the US in 1948 to marry my father who'd been a GI in the occupation following World War II. I closely relate to issues concerning diversity, which I define more broadly than a matter of race; any definition of diversity must include the full spectrum of what makes each of us individuals.

Monday, January 09, 2006

Painful issues...


...at the back of the cave, deep in the dark.
Another reason for being here on the web...on the off chance that someone stumbles across this space and has been abused as a child: http://www.ekklesia.com/abuse/whyguys.htm

If you were abused as a child by an adult, try giving voice to the experience even if it feels like a series of crazy, fractured images or bad dreams. There really is "more room on the outside than on the inside." Telling someone is the first step in becoming a survivor and moving away from victimization. To admit that you were abused may feel ugly on the one hand, butit becomes very necessary on the other. If you finally realize that something awful happened to you, what good does it do to hide from the truth? Lying to yourself hurts no one but yourself, and the one(s) who victimized you hurt you badly enough. Why continue the cycle of pain?

Even the Greeks had myths about abuse. The tales they told were filled with violence, guilt, gnorance, and freedom bought at great price. The photo is of two panels of my Oedipus Triptych. Jocasta is on the left and Apollo is on the right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Free Counter